Sunday 6 November 2016

war memeories

I asked my Grandparents (Dad’s parents) about their family’s involvement in the war.

My Grandad's Dad didn't go to war because he worked for the government in the National Film Unit.  He was an electrical engineer/film technician and his job was to make newsreels about the war so people could stay up to date (in those days they didn’t have TV news, in fact they didn’t even have TVs).  He got polio after the war in 1952 and ended up crippled, but to start with my Dad thought he didn’t go to war because he got polio before the war.


My Grandma’s Dad also worked for the government as a civil engineer and he was stationed in Fiji during the war. He worked on engineering projects for the armed forces, but he wasn’t able to share much detail about it because they were secret. At the end of the war he worked on some big NZ engineering projects like the railway tunnels at Kaikoura.

No comments:

Post a Comment